Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

1911 9mm cycling issues

Recently picked up a Springfield Elite ranger officer and commander in 9mm. For some reason it does not like any hand loads I have tried to run through them. I have tried three different powders (cfe, power pistol, and tire group), been up and down the charge ranges, tried different bullet weights and there charge ranges with the same failure to feed, extract, and cycling issues all together. I have been shooting and reloading for years (although these are my first 1911’s) and never experienced this before Has anyone ever experienced this before in the 1911? Any advice in load changes, gun mods that may be needed?

Thanks for any help advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Have your tried running any factory loads? If they run okay make sure you reloads drop into the chamber okay might be a sizing or COL issue. If factory loads do not run okay contact Springfield.

Title
    Premium Member
    Yup factory ammo runs perfect. I set my col .020 to .030 under max and have loaded some rounds at .040 and .045 under max col but haven’t tried them yet. The only other thing I have been told is to polish the ramp but I can’t understand how new guns with match grade barrels would need to have work done to them. Each one has 500 rounds of factory run through it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Also all of my hand loads plunk test good.

Title
    Premium Member
    What bullets are you using? Profiles? Weights? Are your hand loads same pressure as factory, generating the same amount of power/speed? 1911 models seem more sensitive to spring weights and having proper ammunition to cycle properly.

Exactly what issues and how often?

Other most common thing with 1911s is magazine issues. Are you using same mags with factory ammunition as your reloads?

Some more details would help...

disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    All factory mags

Bullets
    115 and 147 xtreme rn
    115 hornady xtp
    124 hornady hap
    147 hornady xtp
    124 berry rn

All pressures and velocities are within SAAMI specs. I have tried new brass, once fired brass and range brass and get the same issues with either a failure to fire( which is more of a failure to go into battery), failure to extract or feed. Get an occasional light primer strike. A few rounds will fire then I get a failure for a few round. I have taken these same loads and ran them through my S&W pro and Glock with no issues. Just these two 1911’s

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a friend who was having all kinds of issues with her Springfield 1911 9mm with reloads then we finally figured it out she ordered an undersized die to squeeze the base a little no more problems I’ll see if I can find a link to the die she ordered

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTREED View Post
    I have a friend who was having all kinds of issues with her Springfield 1911 9mm with reloads then we finally figured it out she ordered an undersized die to squeeze the base a little no more problems I’ll see if I can find a link to the die she ordered

http://www.egwguns.com/smithing-tool...die-9mm-luger/

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    I would not polish the ramp. There has to be another reason behind it.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk